Looking for things to do with the kids besides heading to the beach, a parade or a barbecue? From carnivals and crafts to performances, Memorial Day celebrations and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are 10 fun, family-friendly activities for Memorial Day weekend:
1. Brookhaven Fair at Pennysaver Amphitheater at Bald Hill (55 Bicycle Path, Farmingville) Families can enjoy entertainment, rides, games and other attractions, plus fireworks Saturday night. Check out the fair Friday 5-11 p.m., Saturday and Sunday noon-11 p.m. and Monday noon-11 p.m. Price: $8.
2. Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park (2400 Ocean Pkwy., Wantagh) On Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., military and civilian performers take to the skies above the beach in honor of Memorial Day. Plus, Dusty of "Disney's Planes" will make a special appearance at the show. Price: Free; $10 parking.
3. Chowderfest at the The Galley Ho (First Street and Main Street, New Suffolk) Chowders, barbecues, entertainment, children's activities, games, face painting and more Saturday from noon to 3 p.m. Price: $20 at the door, free for children 12 and younger. All proceeds go toward the restoration of the waterfront.
4. Grand Opening: Learn Our Past, Share Our Story at Shinnecock Nation Cultural Center and Museum (100 Montauk Hwy., Southampton) Celebrate the opening of the Wikun Village with guided tours, children's programs, skills demonstrations, entertainment, traditional cuisine and giveaways Saturday, Sunday and Monday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Price: $10, $6.75 for ages 5-12.
5. Strawberry Picking Activities at Benner's Farm (56 Gnarled Hollow Rd., Setauket) On Saturday, children and adults alike can pick strawberries from the field and learn how to make jam, cupcakes, ice cream and more. Recommended for ages 4 and up. Price: $40.
6. Long Island Ducks vs. Southern Maryland Blue Crabs at Bethpage Ballpark (3 Court House Dr., Central Islip) Cheer on the home team and enjoy a baseball game Friday and Saturday at 7:05 p.m. and Sunday at 1:35 p.m. Price: Free.
7. Aladdin and the Lamp, or It's All in the Giving at Theatre Three (412 main St., Port Jefferson) Saturday at 11 a.m. Follow Aladdin as he teams up with an outrageous genie to win the hand of beautiful Princess Jasmine. Price: $10.
8. Mosaic Street Painting Festival at East Ends Art Council (133 E. Main St., Riverhead) Families can check out gourmet-food trucks, street painting, entertainment, face painting and more children's activities Sunday from 12 to 5 p.m. Rain date is Monday from 2 to 5 p.m. Price: Free.
9. Messy Afternoons at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City) Kids ages 18 months to 4 can get messy with paints, Play-Doh, goop and more to create works of art Saturday and Sunday from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Price: Free with museum admission ($12).
10. Nature's Colors and Shapes at South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center (377 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton) Children ages 3-5 can explore the field in the back of the museum to learn about nature's shapes and colors Monday at 10 a.m. Reservations are required. Price: $7, $5 ages 3-12.