Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a fall festival to breakfast with Shrek, an outdoor movie featuring the Muppets and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Outdoor movie: "Muppets Take Manhattan" at East Hills Elementary School (400 Round Hill Rd., Roslyn). Follow along as the Muppets head to Manhattan in this G-rated musical at 6 p.m. on Friday. It will be held inside if it rains. Price: $10 in advance, $15 at the gate (includes a bag of popcorn and water).
2. Nutty Squirrels at Alley Pond Environmental Center (228-06 Northern Blvd., Douglaston). On Saturday at 1:30, children ages 3-4 can learn about squirrels through stories, games, crafts and more. Kids will also have a chance to pet live animals. Price: $21 which includes a snack; registration is required.
3. Fall Festival at Hicks Nurseries (100 Jericho Tpke., Westbury). Kids and adults alike will enjoy an animated story with Otto the Ghost, farm animals, hayrides, roasted corn and more on Saturday through Oct. 31. The event is free they just ask that you bring a nonperishable food item for donation.
4. Smithtown Heritage Fair and Car Show at Smithtown Historical Society's Frank Brush Barn (211 Middle Country Rd., Smithtown). In addition to antique cars and live music for adults, kids will enjoy crafts, old-fashioned baseball, farm animals and Civil War re-enactments from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday. Price: $5 adult, $3 child.
5. Shrek and Friends Breakfast at United Skates of America (1276 Hicksville Rd., Seaford). On Sunday at 9:30, dine with Shrek, Donkey, Ginger and Pus 'n Boots and enjoy pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, bagels, coffee, tea and fruit punch. Price: $20, $15 children, free for children 2 and under.