Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From classic performances to nature walks and water play, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Goldilocks and the Three Bears at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). This classic children's story comes to life as Goldilocks takes a walk in the woods and discovers an empty cottage and three bears. The performance takes place Friday at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Saturday at 11:30 a.m. and Sunday at 1:30 p.m.; admission $8 with museum admission ($11) or $12 theater only.
2. Children's Nature Film Week at Garvies Point Museum and Preserve (50 Barry Dr., Glen Cove). On Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., children and adults alike will enjoy educational nature films about bats, birds, insects and more. Admission: $3 adults, $2 children ages 5-12.
3. Waterfest at Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum (301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor). It's time to celebrate the world of water and children will enjoy water balloon games, sprinkler fun, arts and crafts and more. The event is free with admission, $4, at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.
4. Birding and Nature Adventure For Children at Elizabeth A. Morton National Wildlife Refuge (784 Noyack Rd., Sag Harbor). On Saturday at 9:30 a.m., children ages 7-9 can go on a guided birding adventure. Price: $7 adult, $5 children.
5. My-T Fine T-Shirts at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Tpke., Smithtown). Kids, dress for a mess as you design your own nature shirt using colorful paint and stamps at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. Bring one light colored T-shirt and a large paper bag. Price: $4, $3 children over 3, $8 parking fee.