Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From fall festivals and pirate shows to Lego building, birthday parties and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Fall Festival at Hicks Nurseries (100 Jericho Tpke., Westbury). Weekends through Oct. 31, kids and adults alike will enjoy animated stories with Otto the Ghost, a petting zoo with farm animals, hay rides, cider, homemade fudge, roasted corn and more.
2. Maritime Festival in the Village of Greenport (Main Street, Greeport). On Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m-5 p.m., enjoy arts and crafts, old-fashioned games at Captain Kid's Alley, whaleboat races, pirate show and more at this free event.
3. Creatures of the Night at Planting Fields Arboretum State Historic Park (1395 Planting Fields Rd., Oyster Bay). Enjoy a reading from the children's book "Night Creatures" and then head outdoors and learn about nocturnal creatures at 7 p.m. on Saturday. The event is best for children ages 6 and older; must register. Price: $8 per car.
4. Lego Building Blocks Workshops at Ward Melville Heritage Organization Educational and Cultural Center (Main Street, Stony Brook). The first 50 families to register will have a chance to build their own favorite places around town using 60,000 Lego pieces. Doors open at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday; space is limited and registration is required. Price: $40 per family.
5. Birthday Bash to Benefit Make a Wish of Suffolk County at Darlings & Divas (65 Merrick Rd., Amityville). Darling & Divas is turning two on Sunday, and from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. they're hosting a party to celebrate. Bring your diva, ages 3-13, in for free mini-manicures and cupcakes. Purchase a selection of merchandise, glitter tattoos and raffle baskets with all proceeds benefiting Make a Wish.