Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From fireflies and songbirds to art exhibits and summer kickoffs, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Family Adventures: Firefly Fun at Connetquot River State Park Preserve (Sunrise Hwy., Oakdale) Pack up your family and head out to learn about fireflies on Friday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.; reservations are required. Admission: $4 adult, $3 child, $8 parking.
2. Long Island Caribbean American International Festival at the Harry Chapin Lakeside Theater of Eisenhower Park (Hempstead Tpke. and Merrick Ave., East Meadow) Enjoy food, arts and crafts and several bands and artists performing music of the islands on Saturday at 7:30 p.m.. Don't forget to bring blankets and chairs.
3. Framed: Step into Art at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City) The new traveling exhibit allows families to enter the framework of famous paintings; create a chalk mural and arrange works of art into your own gallery. Free with $11 museum admission. The exhibit will be at the museum until Sept. 2.
4. Bagels and Bird Branding at Sweetbrier Nature Center (62 Eckernkamp Dr., Smithtown) Learn how scientists work to band and study songbirds; adults and children 12 and older on Sunday from 6 to 8:30 a.m.. Registration is required, $6 for nonmembers.
5. Sundae Summer Kick Off at Darlings & Divas (65 Merrick Rd., Amityville) Treat your kids to an ice cream pedicure, a mini-manicure, glitter tattoos, pizza and a make-your-own ice cream sundae on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.; $24.99 per child, $19.99 siblings.