Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From funny family performances to an animal dance party, book signings and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Willy Wonka Jr.: The Musical at CM Performing Arts Center, 931 Montauk Hwy., Oakdale. On Friday at 10 a.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m., kids and adults alike will enjoy a musical adaptation based on Roald Dahl's book "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory," about the world famous candy man and his quest to find an heir. Price: $9.
2. Children's Festival and Safety Day at John J. Burns Park, Merrick Road, Massapequa. This free event includes blow-up bounce houses, face painting, food and safety-related demonstrations on Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m..
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson Book Signing at Barnes & Noble, 91 Old Country Rd., Carle Place. On Saturday at 11 a.m., D'Brickashaw Ferguson will be signing copies of his new children's book "Brick's Way: Go Green."
4. Laurie Berkner Band at LIU Tilles Center, Route 25A, Brookville. Enjoy an "Animal Party" which includes old and new songs on Sunday at 1 p.m.; be sure to bring a stuffed animal and wear party clothes. Price: $14.50 to $37.
5. Children's Summer Performance: Jester Jim at Valley Stream State Park, Exit 15A, Southern State Parkway. Bring chairs or a blanket and enjoy this free interactive summer performance at 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Photo: Steve Cottonaro as Willy Wonka Jr.