Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From historic birthday celebrations, performances, crafts and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Nunley's Carousel 100th Birthday Celebration (Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Garden City). On Saturday and Sunday from noon-6 p.m., celebrate the carousel's 100th birthday by taking a ride and enjoying old-fashion food, music and more. Admission: $5.
2. Jr. Angler Freshwater "Catch and Release" Tournament at Caleb Smith State Park (Jericho Tpke., Smithtown). Show off your fishing skills on Saturday at 9 a.m. for the fishing tournament. Rods, bait and tackle will be provided along with prizes. The age groups are 5-6 and 9-12. Registration is required.
3. Blues Clues Live! at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis. Ave., Garden City). Enjoy a fun musical based on the hit Nick Jr. television show. Host Steve and his favorite puppy, Blue encourage audience participation in this interactive performance on Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.; admission: $12.
4. World Oceans Day Sand Casting Craft at Garvies Point Museum and Preserve (50 Barry Dr., Glen Cove). Celebrate the ocean by making a sand and seashell craft on Saturday from noon-3 p.m.; $3 adult, $2 ages 5-12.
5. Disney's High School Musical Jr. at Studio Three (141 S. Wellwood Ave., Lindenhurst). Kids and adults alike will enjoy a stage performance of the original Disney Channel movie. Showtime is 2 p.m. on Saturday; tickets are $10.