Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From festivals, carnivals and crafts to brunch, competitions and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Strawberry Festival at Nassau BOCES (2351 Jerusalem Ave., North Bellmore). Starting tonight until Sunday, enjoy everything strawberry, from strawberry shortcakes, chocolate-dipped strawberries, candy and more. Plus, games and rides for the little ones. Free admission tonight, $2 Friday-Sunday., children under 5 are free.
2. Long Island Bottle Rocket Competition at the Cradle of Aviation (Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Garden City). Children in grades 3 to 8 can learn how to build a rocket at 11 a.m. on Saturday, followed by a competition at noon (weather permitting). Must make a reservation. Chaperone is required; rain date is Sunday; free with museum admission.
3. Brookhaven Fair at Brookhaven Amphitheater at Bald Hill (55 Bicycle Path, Farmingville). Families will enjoy daily entertainment, rides, games, food and more on Friday-Sunday. Fireworks on Saturday night. Admission: $8.
4. Brunch with Ladybug Girl at The Dolphin Bookshop (299 Main St., Port Washington). On Saturday, kids will have fun with the LadyBug Girl. You'll enjoy a light fare, a craft and a reading of the new Ladybug Girl book. Brunch times: 9:30-10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; $20 per child.
5. The Colors and Shapes of Nature at South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center (277 Bridgehampton/Sag Harbor Tpke., Bridgehampton). At 10 a.m. on Sunday, children ages 2 to 5 can explore the different shapes and colors of the environment with a craft to follow. Registration is required; $7 adult, $5 child.
Find more family-friendly weekend events on Long Island.