Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a German festival to Ducks games, family picnic, farm days and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Long Island Ducks Vs. Southern Maryland Blue Crabs at Bethpage Ballpark (3 Court House Dr., Central Islip). Cheer on the home team and enjoy a baseball game on Friday at 7:05 p.m., Saturday at 1:05 p.m. and 7:05 p.m. and Sunday at 1:35 p.m. Price: $11.
2. Farm Days at Talmage Farm Agway (1122 Osborne Ave., Riverhead). On Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., kids can learn to milk a (wooden) cow, enjoy pony rides and get a chance to meet calves, llamas, baby goats, lambs, piglets, chicks, ducks and more. Price: Free.
3. Family Picnic at Harborfront Park (101-A East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Bring your own picnic lunch and blanket and enjoy face painting, cotton candy, children's games, balloon artists, ice cream, performances and more on Saturday at noon. There's also an evening outdoor showing of "Mary Poppins." Rain date: Sunday.
4. Long Island Bavarian Heritage Fesitval at Plattduetsche Park Restaurant (1132 Hempstead Tpke., Franklin Square). Families can enjoy live music, Bavarian folk dancing, German food, Alpine bell ringing on Saturday from 2-10 p.m. and Sunday from noon-9 p.m. Children's crafts and games include spin and sand art, toss games, Beanie Baby racing, bounce houses and an obstacle course. Price: $8, $7 seniors, free children 12 years and younger.
5. Butterfly Flutterbys at Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve (25 Lloyd Harbor Rd., Lloyd Harbor). On Sunday from 1:30-3 p.m., kids ages 5 and older can discover the life of a butterfly. Nets, books and temporary cages will be loaned; must reserve. Price: $4, $3, free children ages 3 and younger.