Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a groundhog scavenger hunt and wild weather activities to duck adventures and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. For Groundhog Day: In Search of Sweetbriar Sam at Sweetbriar Nature Center (62 Eckernkamp Dr., Smithtown). On Saturday from 1-2:30 p.m., children can participate in a groundhog, woodchuck, whistling pig and gopher scavenger hunt, and then make a groundhog craft to take home. They'll also get to meet Sweetbriar Sam and other animals. Price: $6.
2. Program: Wild Weather at the Long Island Science Center (11 W. Main St., Riverhead). Learn about hurricanes, nor'easters, tornadoes and more with fun weather-themed activities and displays on Saturday from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Price: $5; children younger than 2 are free.
3. Family Adventures: Feeling Ducky at Connetquot River State Park Preserve (Sunrise Highway, Oakdale). Explore the variety of duck species the main pond attracts in winter, and then venture indoors for duck-themed activities on Saturday at 1:30 p.m. Price: $4, $3 children ages 3 and up, free for children younger than 3.
4. Smelling Safari at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). Test your sense of smell by identifying different scents on Saturday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Price: Free with museum admission ($12).
5. We're Going on a Bear Hunt at LIU Tilles Center (Route 25A, Brookville). On Sunday at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m., children and adults alike will enjoy catchy songs and interactive scenes based on Michael Rosen's award-winning book. Recommended for ages 3 and up. Price: $14-$22.