Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Hanukkah parties to holiday performances, breakfast with Santa and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Hanukkah Party for Children at Chai Center (501 Vanderbilt Pkwy., Dix Hills). This free event features a menorah lighting, music, storytime, crafts, seasonal food and more at 9:45 a.m. on Friday. Reservations are required.
2. If You Really Love Polar Bears at Nassau County Museum of Art (1 Museum Dr., Roslyn Harbor). Spend Saturday afternoon with Patchy, a young boy who loves polar bears. This interactive story includes music, puppetry and more, with performances at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. Price: $5 (non-members, $15), $5 for children, includes museum admission.
3. Winter Wonderland at Clark Botanic Garden (193 I.U. Willets Rd., Albertson). The town of Hempstead is hosting this free holiday event featuring holiday music, cookie decorating, crafts, decorations and an indoor electric train display from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
4. Breakfast with Santa at the Long Island Aquarium & Exhibition Center (431 E. Main St., Riverhead). Enjoy a breakfast buffet as the kids meet Santa and create a holiday-inspired craft on Saturday, with seatings at 10 a.m. and 11:45 a.m. Price: $34.95 adult, $29.95 children ages 3-12, children under 2 are free. Reservations are required.
5. Hot Peas 'n Butter at Madison Theatre at Molloy College (1000 Hempstead Ave., Rockville Centre). On Sunday at 3 p.m., check out this children's musical group (as seen on Nickelodeon's "Move to the Music") featuring elements of traditional Latin music, Afro-Caribbean rhythms, jazz, folk and rock -- something the whole family will love. Price: $15-$25 adult, $9-$15 children.