Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From Halloween parties and hand-carved Jack o'lanterns to classic performances, Harry Potter and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Rise of the Jack O'Lanterns at Old Westbury Gardens (71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury). On Friday through Sunday from 6:30-9:30 p.m., see more than 5,000 hand-carved pumpkins from local artists and sculptors in this Halloween-inspired walk-through experience. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Price: $16 adults, $14 children and seniors, free for children up to age 5.
2. The Princess, the Frog and the Pea at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). Enjoy a performance of this classic tale with puppets from Goat on the Boat Puppet Theater on Saturday with shows at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Price: $4 with museum admission, $10 theater only.
3. Halloween Party for Kids at Paint a Piece (6126 Jericho Tpke., Commack). Children ages 5 and older can wear costumes, paint pottery, play games and eat pizza and sweet treats from 5:30-7:30 p.m. on Saturday. Price: $35
4. Fishy Facts for Preschoolers at Sport Fishing Education Center (Cedar Beach Marina, Babylon). Explore the underwater world of fish followed by a fun craft at 10 a.m. on Sunday. Price: $25 for one child and one adult.
5. Workshop: Harry Potter Halloween with LilChefs.com at Center for Science Teaching and Learning (1 Tanglewood Rd., Rockville Centre). On Sunday from 10 a.m.-noon and 12:30-2:30 p.m. children and adults alike will enjoy a sorting hat ceremony, face painting, costume contests, goody bags, musical performances and more. $40 ages 5-14, $20 adults.