Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? After celebrating Mother's Day, pack up the family and meet Buzz Aldrin, explore the outdoors and head to a performance of "The Little Princes." Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Meet Buzz Aldrin at Cradle of Aviation (Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Garden City). Astronaut Buzz Aldrin will be signing his new book "Mission to Mars: My Vision for Space Exploration" on Saturday at noon, along with a discussion about the Apollo 11 lunar mission. He will also be signing his children's book "Look to the Stars." Price: $20.
2. Spa Science with Mom at Long Island Science Center (11 W. Main St., Riverhead). On Saturday from 3-5 p.m., learn about spa products and make your own soap, bath frizz and lip balm. Lunch and sparkling punch will be provided. Price: $22 per parent/child, $16 each additional child; you must register.
3. Make a Mother's Day Message in a Bottle at Maritime Explorium (101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson). Children can create a message in a bottle for someone special for Mother's Day on Saturday and Sunday from 1-5 p.m. Price: $5.
4. The Little Princess at Studio Theatre (141 S. Wellwood Ave., Lindenhurst). This musical adaptation of the classic by Frances Hodgson Burnett follows Sara Crewe, a heiress to a large fortune whose life takes a dramatic turn when she receives news of the loss of her father, and her fortune on Saturday at 2 p.m. Price: $12 ($10 in advance)
5. Watercolor Wonders at Connetquot River State Park Preserve (Sunrise Highway, Oakdale). Create a watercolor collage using wildflowers and wildlife on Sunday from 1:30-3 p.m. Price: $4, $3 children, free ages 3 and younger; reservations required.