Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From an outdoor movies and art projects to a Pinkalicious performance and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Cinema on the Bay 2013: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory at Sunset Park (Main Street and Shore Road, Port Washington). This G-rated film featuring Gene Wilder, Jack Albertson and more will be shown outdoors on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. Don't forget to bring snacks and something to sit on. Price: Free.
2. Art in the Afternoon at Nathaniel Conklin House (280 Deer Park Ave., Babylon). On Saturday, from 1-4 p.m., kids and adults can try basket making, shell painting, stencil art, water coloring, collage making, face painting and more. Price: Free.
3. Broken? Fix It! at the Long Island Children's Museum (11 Davis Ave., Garden City). Kids can learn how to diagnose problems and how to repair it with this hands-on exhibit, which takes place daily from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Price: $12, children younger than 1 are free.
4. Pinkalicious The Musical at Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts (2 E. Main St., Smithtown). A family-friendly musical for kids ages 2-10, based on the popular children's book about a young, pink-loving girl who develops Pinkitis, an affliction that turns her pink from head to toe on Saturday and Sunday at 11 a.m. Price: $15.
5. The Secret Life in a Pond at South Fork Natural History Museum and Nature Center (377 Bridgehampton / Sag Harbor Turnpike, Bridgehampton). On Sunday at 10 a.m., children ages 3-5 will use underwater viewers that they will make themselves, magnifying glasses and microscopes to explore frogs, insects and other creatures that live in a freshwater pond. Price: $7 adult, $5 per child ages 3-12, free ages 2 and younger. There is also a $3 materials fee.