Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From classic performances to storytime, dancing and more, there's so much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family-friendly activities this weekend:
1. Kids DJ Night at Hoyt Farm Park Preserve (200 New Highway, Commack). This free event on Friday at 7:30 p.m. features DJ Didi Maxx playing a variety of children's favorite songs. Feel free to bring chairs and a picnic.
2. Storybook Stroll at Old Westbury Gardens (71 Old Westbury Rd., Old Westbury). On Saturday at noon, take a break from the heat and listen to a reading of "The Snowy Day" by Jack Keats and enjoy a frozen treat. Price: $10, $8 seniors, $5 ages 7-17, children 6 and younger are free.
3. Tales of Neverland: The Adventures of Peter and Wendy at Carriage House Theater, Vanderbilt Mansion (180 Little Neck Rd., Centerport). Escape to Neverland with Peter Pan, Wendy and John in this classic fairy tale on Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m.; tickets are $10, $8 children, free for kids 3 and under.
4. The Long Island Toy Show at Hofstra University (Hempstead Tpke., Hempstead). On Sunday, toys and collectibles, including video games, comic books and more will be on display from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. (Early admission is from 9-10 a.m.). Price: $5 in advance online, $8 at the door, free for children under 12; early admission $10 online and $15 in at the door.
5. Ocean Olympics at Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum (301 Main St., Cold Spring Harbor). Kids ages 5 to 12 can test their strength on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. and compete against each other with jumping, lifting and leaping activities in the water. Must reserve a spot; free with admission, $4 child.