Looking for things to do with the kids this weekend? From a family-friendly Halloween musical to scarecrow building, autumn crafts, festivals and more, there's much to do on Long Island. Here are my top five picks for fun, family friendly activities this weekend:
1. Annabelle Broom The Unhappy Witch at CM Performing Arts Center (931 Montauk Hwy., Oakdale). This funny musical follows a friendly witch who would rather help than haunt others. Catch the show at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Tickets: $10.
2. Family Fall and Halloween Festival at Syosset-Woodbury Community Park (7800 Jericho Tpke., Woodbury). This free event from 1-4 p.m. on Saturday includes Halloween crafts for kids, games, pumpkin picking and more. Children are welcome to wear their costumes.
3. Scarecrow Building Workshop at Benner's Farm (56 Gnarled Hollow Rd., Setauket). On Saturday from 10 a.m.-noon, families can bring used clothing and decorate a scarecrow to bring home. Registration is required. Price: $35.
4. Autumn Discoveries at Caleb Smith State Park Preserve (Jericho Turnpike, Smithtown). Children ages 5 and up can get into the fall spirit with a short hike followed by an autumn-inspired craft indoors. Must reserve in advance. Price: $4 adults, $3 children).
5. Fall Garden and Harvest Festival at Bayard Cutting Arboretum (440 Montauk Hwy., Great River). On Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m., families can enjoy activities, a model train display, hayrides, pumpkin painting, horticultural demonstrations and more. Price: $12 per car.