Your child has a case of the sniffles but is not running a temperature. Should you keep her home from school or day care?
A Mayo Clinic physician offers tips that can help a parent decide when to keep the child home or send them packing to school.
The Mayo Clinic website lists recommends kids should stay home when they experience these symptoms:
* Vomiting twice or more over a 24-hour period or being unable to tolerate normal food and drink, or both.
* A temperature of 101 or higher.
* Severe coughing or difficulty breathing.
* Repeated bouts of severe diarrhea for at least a day.
* Persistent abdominal pain (more than two hours).
* Open sores on the mouth.
* A skin rash or red eye from an undetermined cause.
* Head lice or scabies.
* Other contagious conditions such as strep throat, chicken pox, impetigo, etc.
For more information, visit: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2013-rst/7241.html