Why: To feel as though you're eating a cool ocean breeze
On this sultry day, I’m daydreaming about chilling out with a cool lunch. But what, exactly, would I get? And where?
After much deliberation, I’ve come up with a list of five cold dream dishes, any one of which would see me through the afternoon. Too bad I'm stuck at the office:
1. A chocolate malted from Bobby’s Burger Palace. Eaten with a spoon and a straw, it's dark and rich, with a floe of ice cream and an undertone of true malt.
2. A Vietnamese summer roll from, yes, Cheesecake Factory. Cool rice paper enfolds a fresh mix of vegetables (asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, carrots, scallion, rice noodles) plus chilled shrimp, everything kicked up with the zing of cilantro. Who even needs the peanut sauce served on the side?
3. The yellowtail seviche at Domo Sushi in East Setauket. Here, the raw fish is “cooked” by a citrus marinade. Chef Ken Ming's version is especially light and lovely, with notes of ginger, garlic and soy.
4. The cool bresaola salad at Pepe Rosso 24 in Port Washington. It's composed of air dried cured beef, arugula, lemon vinaigrette, truffle oil and freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano. So pretty, too.
5. The chilled raw bar platter for two at The Fishery in East Rockaway. At its center: a whole Maine lobster, marine-sweet, surrounded by cooked jumbo shrimp, raw oysters, littlenecks and cherrystones. Everything sparkles.
Domo Sushi is at 180 Rte. 25A, East Setauket, 631-751-2299, domosushi.com
Pepe Rosso 24 is at 24 Manorhaven Blvd., Port Washington, 516-944-9477, peperosso24.com.
The Fishery is at 1 Main St., East Rockaway, 516-256-7117, thefishery.kpsearch.com.
Bobby’s Burger Palace is at 355 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, 631-382-9590, bobbysburgerpalace.com.
Cheesecake Factory is at Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, 631-361-6600, Mall at the Source, Westbury, 516-222-5500 and Walt Whitman Mall, Huntington Station, 631-271-8200, cheesecakefactory.com.
Photo: Chilled raw bar platter at The Fishery in East Rockaway