TURKEY STUFFING STRATA
1 cup (1 percent) milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 cups leftover stuffing
2 cups chopped turkey
1 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine the milk and egg in a large bowl; stir in the stuffing, turkey and cheese and toss to combine. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and bake 30 minutes, until the egg is absorbed. (If the top browns too much, place a piece of foil lightly over it). Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 450 calories, 37 g protein, 36 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 17 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 776 mg sodium
TURKEY CARCASS SOUP
To make the broth:
1 turkey carcass, stripped of most of the meat
2 onions, cut in wedges
2 carrots, cut in 1⁄2-inch chunks
3 ribs celery, cut in 1⁄2-inch pieces
5 sprigs parsley
1 bay leaf
To make the soup:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 carrots, sliced
3 ribs celery, sliced
1 cup chopped onion
2 small parsnips, sliced
1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
1⁄2 cup pearled barley
2 cups leftover turkey
1. Make the broth: combine the carcass (broken to fit the pot) onions, carrots, celery, parsley and bay leaf in a large soup pot with 12 cups water (enough to cover the carcass.) Bring to a boil, immediately reduce heat and simmer 2 to 4 hours (the longer the better). Strain and discard all solids. Add salt to taste. (May be frozen for future use.)
2. Make the soup: heat the oil in a large pot over medium high. Add the carrots, celery, onion, parsnips, marjoram and sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables just begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the barley and broth and bring to a boil; immediately reduce to a gentle simmer; cook until barley is tender, about 40 minutes. Stir in turkey and cook to warm it through, about 5 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 286 calories, 25 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 8 g fiber, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 133 mg sodium
TURKEY, BROCCOLI AND NOODLE CASSEROLE
8 ounces medium egg noodles
2 cups broccoli florets, cut in small pieces
3 tablespoons flour
1 1⁄4 cups (1 percent) milk, divided
2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar
2 cups chopped turkey
2 tablespoons melted butter
3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese
1. Coat an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.
2. Cook the noodles according to package directions; in the last 4 minutes, add the broccoli. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, combine the flour with 1⁄4 cup of the milk in a saucepan (off the heat), stirring until the mixture is smooth. Place over medium heat and whisk in the remaining milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Toss with the noodles, broccoli and turkey; transfer to the prepared baking dish.
4. Combine the melted butter, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over the casserole and bake until the top is golden, about 5 minutes. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional analysis for each serving: 648 calories, 48 g protein, 65 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 22 g fat, 12 g saturated fat, 702 mg sodium
TIP: If you don’t have enough leftover stuffing, supplement with another bread to make the necessary 4 cups.