Deanna Robertazzi is the vice president of public relations at her local Toastmasters Club and a blogger at meatloafprincess.com. She lives in Mastic with her dad.
How did Meatloaf Princess, your blog and YouTube channel, come about?
I was making meat loaf one day, teaching myself how to cook, the month after I graduated from Stony Brook. I had a recipe that called for rolled oats, which I didn't have. I had apple-cranberry oatmeal packets and I used them instead, and the meat loaf came out really well. So I started experimenting with other flavors.
What are your favorites so far?
I've made almost two dozen meat loaves. I loved my sweet French toast crunch meat loaf, which I made with French toast cereal, maple syrup, and tofu.
Any that didn't work out so great?
Oh, sure. There's a lot of experimenting. I made a meat loaf with chicken and I put way too many spices in it.
What are you going to try next?
I'm never going to run out of ideas. I come up with new ones every day. In the next couple weeks I'm going to be making avocado soup to use in my avocado meatloaf.
Where does this recipe come from?
I was watching Food Network Star and one of the challenges was to make pizza. I thought to myself, if I was on the show what would I make? I thought, what is a traditional meat loaf? Ground beef, carrots, potatoes. The cauliflower crust came from seeing a lot of photos on Instagram and Pinterest. I wanted to try a low-carb recipe. My dad loved it. He's a traditionalist when it comes to meat loaf, so he doesn't eat any of my sweet meat loaves at all. My grandma once said I should have a food business.
DEANNA'S MEATLOAF PIZZA
For the pizza crust:
1/2 head cauliflower, broken into pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the sauce:
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon ketchup
4 ounces browned ground beef
1/2 packet instant mashed potatoes, cooked
5 boiled baby carrots
1 teaspoon paprika
1. Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a 11-by-16-inch baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. With a box grater, grate the cauliflower so that it looks like shredded mozzarella cheese. Transfer to a microwave-safe bowl and cover. Cook on high in microwave for 7 to 8 minutes. 3. Transfer to another large bowl and add the egg, mozzarella, salt, onion and cayenne powders.
3. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and press into the shape of a pizza crust, using your hands or a rolling pin. Bake until it's warmed through, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Make the sauce: Mix the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup together in a small bowl until well-combined.
5. Spread the sauce on top of the warmed crust. Sprinkle the browned ground beef on top of the sauce. Put the cooked instant mashed potatoes on top of the browned ground beef. Put the boiled baby carrots on top of the cooked instant mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake until heated through, 10 to 12 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve. Makes 3 servings.