1. Eligibility: No purchase necessary. Contest open to legal residents of Queens, Nassau and Suffolk Counties in New York, excluding professional chefs and persons who make the majority of their income in food preparation. Employees of Newsday LLC (the "Sponsor"), its advertising or promotion agencies, parent companies, service providers, agents, officers, subsidiaries or affiliates, or any other persons or entities directly associated with the Contest (collectively, the "Contest Entities") and members of the immediate families of and/or persons living in the same household as such persons are ineligible to enter the Contest. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. This Contest is void where prohibited.
2. Contest Entry Period: The Contest begins at 12 a.m. on October 20, 2013 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on November 11, 2013 (the “Contest Period”). All times noted for the Contest Period are Eastern Time. To be eligible, entries must be received within the Contest Period.
3. How to Enter: To enter, submit a recipe, including ingredients and directions, (collectively with entry form, the “Entry” or “Entries”) by following the instructions given on the entry website at www.newsday.com/turkey (the Site; note that you must be a registered user of newsday.com to enter via this method), or send the recipe with your name, telephone number, email address, and town name via mail or email as follows: (i) for mail, send to ExploreLI, c/o Food Editor, 235 Pinelawn Rd., Melville, NY 11747; or (ii) for email, send to email@example.com, with “Recipe Contest” in the subject line. One entry per person. All Entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. No responsibility is assumed for late, lost, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected submissions. No responsibility is assumed for technical, hardware, software or other online entry malfunctions of any kind or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the sender, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the application. If for any reasons (including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest), the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these Official Rules, Sponsor shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
4. Requirements of Entries: Each Entry must be the original work of the entrant, may not have been previously published, may not have won previous awards, and must not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. If the Entry contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant, and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, before submission of the Entry, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Entry by Sponsor in the manner set forth in these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor from any entrant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render Entry null and void. Entrant understands that Sponsor has no obligation to publish, display or otherwise include the Entry in any Sponsor publication or Website. By submitting an Entry, entrant warrants and represents that he/she consents to the submission and use of the Entry in the Contest and to its use as otherwise set forth herein. By submitting your Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. By submitting your Entry, entrants grant to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates an unlimited, transferable, exclusive license to use their Entry in editorial publications, advertising material, for promotional purposes, on websites or in any other media form whatsoever that Sponsor may choose without further compensation unless otherwise prohibited by law. You also grant the Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates an unlimited, transferable and exclusive license to adjust and/or adapt your recipe (for example, with respect to seasoning, cooking temperature, measurements, shape of ingredients, etc.) for publication. By submitting your Entry, you agree to assume all liability for and indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its parents, affiliates, employees, contractors and agents from any and all claims arising out of the publication or use of your Entry, including without limitation any failure of your Entry to comply with these Official Rules or any representations being made by you herein.
5. Judging: Newsday food critics will judge all eligible entries received, and will select three (3) finalists, based on the following criteria: (i) degree to which the recipe honors both holidays (Thanksgiving and Hanukah); (ii) creative use and availability of ingredients; (iii) clarity of directions; and (iv) potential taste of the final dish. The three (3) finalist recipes will be prepared and taste-tested by the food critics. One (1) winning recipe will be selected by the judges based on best meeting the above criteria. The decisions of the judges and Sponsor with respect to the selection of the Winner and in regard to all matters relating to this contest are within Sponsor’s sole discretion and shall be final. Winner will be notified on or about November 14, 2013 via email, regular mail and/or telephone.
6. Prizes: One (1) First Prize winner will receive a 16 to 18 pound turkey of his/her choice from a Whole Foods location nearest to his/her home. Approx. prize value: $75-100.00. Turkey must be redeemed by November 26, 2013.
The three (3) finalist recipes will be published in the November 21, 2013 ExploreLi Thanksgiving issue.
Winner is solely responsible for all state, local or federal taxes associated with the winning of the prize. Any difference between the stated value and the actual value of a prize will not be awarded to the winner. Prizing is subject to expiration dates and will not be extended. Prizing is not refundable or redeemable for cash or credit at any time, nor will prizing be replaced if lost or stolen. Prize may not be sold or transferred to a third party. No substitutions are allowed, except by the Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Other prize restrictions may apply.
7. General Conditions: By accepting a prize, winner grants to Sponsor and its parent companies and affiliates the right to use his or her name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information, as well as the name, likeness, image, voice, testimonial and/or biographical information of any children appearing in the Entry, in advertising and promotion in all media without further compensation or permission, except where prohibited by law. By acceptance of prize, winner agrees to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor and its parent companies, affiliates, employees, contractors and agents from any and all liability for injuries and damages sustained in connection with the acceptance and use of the prize. Prize winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility and release within five (5) calendar days of notification and before distribution of prize. Any prize notification not responded to within forty-eight hours, any affidavit/release returned as undeliverable, and/or failure of winners to return the affidavit and release will result in disqualification from the Contest, prize forfeiture, and in an alternate winner being selected by the judges. In the event winner fails to claim his/her prize or fails to meet the eligibility requirements, such winner will forfeit his/her prize and an alternate winner will be selected by the judges. If winner is unwilling or unable to accept any portion of the prize package, that portion of the prize will be deemed as forfeited by the winner and no substitution will be made except at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
8. Winners List: For identity of winner, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: Winners List, Thanksgivukkah, Newsday, 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747, by May 31, 2014.
Sponsor of this Contest is Newsday LLC (Sponsor or Newsday), 235 Pinelawn Road, Melville, New York 11747.