To make this dish a day in advance, roast the Brussels sprouts for about half the time; place in the baking dish with the topping and finish cooking in a hot oven (rather than under the broiler) just before serving.
3 slices bacon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 pint containers Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Cook the bacon in a skillet until cooked through but not crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain and cool. Stir the lemon juice and mustard into the bacon drippings.
3. Toss the Brussels sprouts in the drippings in the pan; place on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 20 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
4. Crumble the bacon and toss with the Brussels sprouts. Transfer to a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and olive oil; sprinkle over the Brussels sprouts.
6. Just before serving, place the dish under the broiler (or in a very hot oven) for 2 to 4 minutes to brown the crumbs.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 67 calories, 3 g protein, 8 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 98 mg sodium