Don’t think that anyone would dispute that Santa’s one hardworking guy in December. But he's outdone himself this year. Here's some unexpected places where the big guy will be making a special entrace.Your job: Explaining to the little ones how it is that he can be so many places at one time.
1. BY GOLF CART: Santa will hitch a ride by golf cart for the treelighting festivities at Coe Hall and the Planting Fields Arboretum, 6-8 p.m. Friday (Dec. 10) at 1395 Planting Fields Rd., Oyster Bay, 516-922-9200, plantingfields.org). Free admission.
2. BY BOAT In Sayville, Santa will motor in at 11 a.m. Saturday (Dec. 11) after The Long Island Maritime Museum's inaugural Jingle Bell Walk. Registration starts at 9 a.m. for the one-mile walk that starts at 10. On-site fees are $10 adults, $8 younger than 12 (or $45 per family) and a portion of the proceeds will benefitthe Town of Islip Animal Shelter (86 West Ave., West Sayville, 631-854-4974 limaritime.org).
3. FIRE TRUCK Santa rolls in on a big truck at 11 a.m. Saturday (Dec. 11) in Sag Harbor, where he'll hang out at Bay Street Theatre until 1 p.m. (631-725-0011, sagharborchamber.com).
4. BY PLANE Old St. Nick makes a memorable entrance by plane at 11:30 a.m. Saturday (Dec. 11) at the Fire Island Lighthouse, which is hosting its 8th annual reenactment of Santa's flight to drop off toys to the lightkeeper's family in 1953 (park at Field 5 at Robert Moses Park and walk about a mile to the lighthouse, 631-661-4876, fireislandlighthouse.com).
5. BY HORSE & BUGGY Santa arrives by horse and buggy at Atlantis Marine World at 10 a.m. Dec. 18 and 19 as part of its holiday brunch ($29.95 adults, $24.95 ages 3-12, seatings at 10 and 11:45 a.m., 431 E. Main St., Riverhead, 631-208-9200, ext. 220, atlantismarineworld.com).
7. BY WAGON Santa’s back on the wagon at Leuthardt’s Tree Farm in East Moriches, noon-4 p.m. weekends through Dec. 19. Admission for a 25-minute ride through the farm with him is $5.75 ($3.50 12 and younger). The farm is at 607 Montauk Hwy., 631-878-1387, henryleuthardtnurseries.com.
By the way, where are Rudolph, Donner and Blitzen while Santa’s gallivanting around Nassau and Suffolk counties? See a few live reindeer at Hicks Nurseries in Westbury 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday; 100 Jericho Tpke., Westbury, 516-334-0066, hicksnurseries.com).