When Fredrick’s reopened in 2007 after a years-long renovation, the Great Neck institution lost much of its distinctiveness. The luncheonette / newstand / tobacconist at the corner of Grace Avenue and Bond Street was founded in 1951 by Murray Selby and the renovation, carried out by his son Cliff, did away with all the newspapers and magazines—and most of the cigars.
In March 2010, Fredrick’s closed for good. On October 12 it reopened as Great Neck Diner, a friendly and tastefully appointed establishment owned by Teddy and Steve Tsakos (who until 2008, owned the Haven Diner in Port Washington) and their partner, Mike.
Breakfast a few mornings ago was a success. These eggs were a perfect over easy, the home fries well done, as requested (how frequently this request goes unanswered!). Pal’s single pancake was good, though served with “pancake syrup” instead of maple syrup. (Note to diner owners: We are happy to pay extra for real maple syrup if you’ll just keep a bottle of it around.) Service was friendly and attentive, the coffee better than diner-average. But a Greek salad to go, eaten for lunch a few hours later, fell short.
Great Neck Diner is at 14 Grace Ave., Great Neck Plaza, 516-466-0678.