Heading into the deep-freeze weeks of winter, it's a good idea to find those dishes that keep you warm and comfortable. These big-flavor choices are up to the job.
1. Onion soup gratinée and roast chicken for two at Bistro Cassis, 55B Wall St., Huntington; 631-421-4122, bistrocassis.com
2. Casserole of sliced pork, vegetables and rice cake in a fiery red-pepper shaded sauce, at Imperial Seoul, 3365 Hillside Ave., New Hyde Park; 516-741-2340
3. Vegetable curries and dosas, or stuffed rice crepes, at House of Dosas, 416 S. Broadway, Hicksville; 516-938-7517, houseofdosas.com
4. Moussaka at Alexandros, 1060 Rte. 25A, Mount Sinai; 631-928-8600, alexandrosrestaurant.com
5. Carbonnade a la flamande, with beef stewed in Belgian brown ale, at Waterzooi, 850 Franklin Ave., Garden City; 516-877-2177, waterzooi.com
6. Traditional beef stew with carrots and potatoes at Fork & Vine, 32 Railroad Ave., Glen Head; 516-656-3266, forkandvineny.com
7. Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, at The Brass Rail, 107 Forest Ave., Locust Valley; 516-723-9103, thebrassraillocustvalley.com