South Shore residents at a public meeting Tuesday evening questioned projects that Lindenhurst Village officials said may be funded with federal superstorm Sandy money.
The village had requested feedback from residents on five applications that officials are submitting to obtain $6.4 million in federal money for flood protection. The funds are part of Community Development Block Grant money allotted to municipalities as part of the superstorm Sandy recovery effort.
The village has marked $522,500 for a generator for the Rainbow Senior Center and $2.3 million for Shore Road Park resiliency improvements.
The remaining $3.6 million is allotted for drainage improvements based on a study by Nelson & Pope Engineers and Surveyors of Melville that was completed earlier this year. Suggested improvements include $1.2 million for road raising, $801,197 for bulkhead repair and the installation of check valves, and $1.6 million for culvert and outfall reconstruction and leaching structures.
The village has tentatively chosen South 6th Street for road raising, South 4th Street and Falls Street for bulkhead repair, and eight locations for check valves.
Residents who have had chronic flooding in front of their houses questioned the village board about why their streets are not raised or given check valves with the federal funding.
“For over 20 years now, we as residents of South 4th Street have been promised by this village and its representatives that we were guaranteed to be next in line for assistance as soon as the monies became available,” said Remi Verrier. “Have we become a nonentity not under consideration until tax time and election time?”
Village Administrator Doug Madlon said the village is hoping to use other sources of money to raise South 4th. He called the situation “complex” and said the plan to repair and raise the bulkheading at the end of the road using the federal money is “part of the whole equation.”
But a resident on South 6th Street, where the road is due to be raised, questioned that move as well. Audrey Dwyer said she’d just spent $10,000 on brick work in front of her house and wondered if that would need to be torn up.
“Where is the water going to drain?” she asked officials. “Am I going to have to raise my property?”
Mayor Mike Lavorata said he didn’t have answers but that is why officials were seeking input.
“Any decision that we make will be based upon information provided here in concert with the engineering studies,” he said. “It’s going to be a team effort.”
After the public comments, the village board voted to submit the applications.