Good Morning
Good Morning
Long Island

2nd rescued bald eagle sent to rehab center

Rehabilitators at Volunteers for Wildlife in Locust Valley

Rehabilitators at Volunteers for Wildlife in Locust Valley care for the juvenile bald eagle found dehydrated and emaciated at a Bayville beach. Credit: Volunteers for Wildlife

It's not quite a flock yet, but bald eagles seem to be cropping up along the North Shore.

After one eagle was pulled from the Long Island Sound on Monday, a second was rescued from a Bayville beach Thursday afternoon -- bookending the celebration the birds represent.

Rehabilitators at Volunteers for Wildlife in Locust Valley cared for the second bird for two days before sending it Saturday to the same specialized treatment center in New Jersey where the first eagle was delivered Wednesday.

"You're holding the bird that represents your country," said Volunteers for Wildlife clinic assistant Addie Cappello. "That's pretty cool, to get to help it."

The two eagles are of similar size, and Steve Sinkevich, a senior wildlife biologist at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's field office in Shirley, said they could be related.

The two birds could also be evidence of a breeding pair in the area, but Sinkevich said his office, which is partly responsible for tracking bald eagles on Long Island, wasn't aware of any.

At Volunteers for Wildlife, rehabilitators treated the dehydrated and emaciated bird with electrolyte solution and protein formula-avian versions of Gatorade and Ensure.

"He's critical, and he still remains critical," said Lauren Schulz, who added that the juvenile eagle would likely have lived no more than another day if it hadn't been found.

At 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Schulz and Cappello slid a crate containing the eagle into the backseat of a red Mazda sedan for the two-hour drive to The Raptor Trust in Millington, N.J.

Up front were Simone DaRos and Stella Miller, two officers from the Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon Society.

Along with directions, Schulz handed Miller copies of the bird's medical records.

Miller said that she and DaRos would keep the radio off, and the air conditioning on, on behalf of their cargo. "It's all about the bird," she said.

Upon the eagle's arrival at The Raptor Trust, education director Lauren Butcher said, the bird was placed in an intensive care enclosure and was to be examined Sunday by a veterinarian.

As for the first eagle, which was found near Eatons Neck, she said, it's doing "very well . . . eating a lot of fish."

Latest Long Island News