Three people were burned, including a child who sustained serious injuries, when someone poured gasoline onto flames in a firepit outside a Medford home late Friday night, Suffolk County authorities said Saturday.
A resident of a Falcon Avenue home called 911 about 11:30 p.m. to say people were on fire, and a neighbor called the emergency line to report hearing an explosion, Suffolk County fire communications officials said.
A preliminary investigation indicates the gas can exploded after the fuel was poured over the fire, Suffolk police said.
A 12-year-old boy suffered serious burns on his face, body and arms, authorities said, and another youth was burned on his arms and thigh. A man had burn injuries on his arms and hands, police said.
All were taken to Stony Brook University Hospital, which has a burn unit, authorities said.
Other details were not immediately available early Saturday.