An attempt to deep fry a turkey sparked a house fire that damaged the home's exterior and a rear deck Thursday, a fire official said.
About 35 firefighters responded to a home on Mell Drive in North Babylon to douse flames started when oil from a deep frying turkey spilled.
"They put it in too fast," said John Schneidawin, chief of the North Babylon Fire Department. "The oil boiled over."
Firefighters were at the home for about two hours following the 1 p.m. call. Both the homeowner and a neighbor called firefighters after discovering he flames.
"It started to go inside the home but we stopped it," Schneidawin said.
The home was habitable, he said.
The family, whose name wasn't released, was going to a relative's home for Thanksgiving, Schneidawin said.