Big Duck's 80th birthday
Friends of The Big Duck, the kitschy Flanders building that survived to become a national landmark, are gathering for an 80th "birthday" celebration. The duck-shaped building went up in 1931.
The Big Duck along Route 24. (March 2, 1982)
Photographic detail of a painting by Elaine Faith Thompson, a Long Island artist.
A sign with the words "Save th Big Duck" draws the attention of Teresa Carboni (left) and Lisa Cangemi, both from the Five Towns area of Nassau County. (Aug. 31, 1987)
The Big Duck and its suitcase are ready to move. (Jan. 25, 1988)
The Big Duck laid an egg. Sculptor Dick Fleig, right, and "suitcase" builder Ted Pearson bring the egg from a county truck and place it in the former basement of the big duck. (Jan. 26, 1988)
The Big Duck is escorted to its new resting place near Sears Park in Flanders. (Jan. 27, 1988)
Bill Rivers of Hampton Bays, seated, applies white cement to the exterior of The Big Duck in Flanders. (May 24, 1993)
A holiday necklace adorns The Big Duck along Route 24 in Flanders. (Nov. 27, 2007)
The Big Duck is set on a rig in preparation for its move back to its original location in Flanders. (Oct. 5, 2007)
Workers for Davis Construction work to lift The Big Duck off of its foundation in preparation for its move back to its original location in Flanders. (Oct. 4, 2007)
Workers for Davis Construction start to move The Big Duck back to its original location in Flanders. (Oct. 5, 2007)
At a regular meeting of the Southampton Town Board, 116 Hampton Rd., Southampton, the board held a public hearing in futherance of relocating The Big Duck to its former location in Flanders, where it stood from 1938 to 1988. This is the future site of The Big Duck, County Rd. 24, Flanders, four miles north of where it now stands. (Sept. 11, 2007)
The Big Duck in Flanders was built in 1931 as a tribute to Long Island duck farming. The formidable fowl earned a spot on the National Register of Historic Places, and tourists flock to see it year round. Inside the stucco, wood and wire duck is a museum and gift shop. (July 5, 2010)
The Big Duck, an internationally famous example of roadside architecture, was built of mesh wire and cement in 1931 by a Depression-struck duck farmer seeking to sell ducks and eggs. As part of its nationwide landmark restoration program, "Explore the Highway with Hampton," Hampton Inn volunteers spruced-up this longtime Long Island icon by adding landscaping, a new wooden screen door and a fresh coat of white paint.