Firefighters extinguished a blaze at a four-story condo complex in Freeport on Saturday night, authorities said.
Firefighters said they responded to the blaze on the second floor of the Miller Avenue complex at 7:48 p.m.
All residents safely evacuated the building, firefighters said. The fire was contained to a second-floor apartment, firefighters said.
Rich Goldman said he was visiting his 91-year-old mother when the smoke alarm sounded in her second floor apartment.
“We heard the smoke alarm and didn’t know what it was,” Goldman said. “We saw smoke in the hallway and the neighbor’s apartment across the hall was up in flames. We gave him a fire extinguisher and he ran back in. As far as we know, everyone got out OK.”
One firefighter had a minor leg injury and was taken by ambulance to a hospital, officials said. Three residents also were taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Most residents in the 154-unit building were allowed to return to their apartments after the fire was extinguished and officials restored power.