That was the word FDNY Battalion Chief Joseph Downey used to describe his team's dramatic rescue late Tuesday of two young children from the rubble in Port-au-Prince.
"What an incredible experience and rescue," Downey wrote in an e-mail to his wife Lynn from the earthquake site, hours before a strong aftershock sent people running for cover again Wednesday.
"Everyone is well, feeling great after the rescues," added Downey, of West Islip. "Please spread the news."
And in a brief interview later in the day arranged by the NYPD, Downey said, "We are out there making missions and trying to find people."
The team learned of children at about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, when an American aid worker found that a man had been lowering bottled water into a hole in three stories of debris down to what he believed was a trapped, living child, said an NYPD spokesman.
After finding the bodies of three of the children's siblings, Downey's unit used a video camera probe to locate a boy, 8, and a girl, 10, and extricate them. They received medical treatment and were reunited with their parents.
A FDNY spokesman said that the aftershock didn't affect the rescue crew.
"Everybody is accounted for down there," spokesman Frank Dwyer said.