Good Morning
Good Morning
Long Island

Cop: MS-13 boss didn't want to kill alone

Leaders of the MS-13 gang Heriberto Martinez, left,

Leaders of the MS-13 gang Heriberto Martinez, left, and Carlos Ortega, right, are scheduled to go on trial in federal court in Central Islip. Credit: Handout

A leader of the MS-13 street gang confessed in detail about how he and others killed a fellow gang member on a beach in Far Rockaway because he was not willing to murder their rivals, a former New York City police detective testified yesterday.

Now-retired Det. Oscar Ferrufino said that the leader, Heriberto Martinez, 25, of Far Rockaway, admitted that he and other members of MS-13 thought that Mario Quijada, also 25, of Far Rockaway, "had not had the courage to do anything."

Martinez and MS-13 member Carlos Ortega, 23, of Brentwood, are on trial in federal court in Central Islip in connection with a total of five killings.

Reading from a confession that he said Martinez made to him 17 hours after killing Quijada in March 2010, the detective said the gang leader reported that he and four other MS-13 members or associates went to Quijada's house shortly before midnight. They were armed with a handgun, a machete and several knives, according to court testimony.

Two of the MS-13 members told Quijada, " 'Let's go to the beach,' because there are women there," Martinez said, according to the detective.

When they started walking on the beach, Martinez said he lagged behind, and when he got up to Quijada, one of the gang members "was shooting at him, but the gun didn't work," the detective said.

Quijada started to run when the gun jammed, and, Martinez said, another gang member "gave me the machete and he took out a knife. So the person told me, 'Let's kill this dog.' So I got scared and hit with the machete . . . I don't know if I hit him in the face or the head."

Quijada still continued to run, but Martinez said another gang member said, " 'Don't let him get away.' So then I kicked him and he fell. So he tried to get up and sort of started to crawl."

Then the other gang members "jumped on him with the knife and the machete," Martinez told him, Ferrufino said.

According to previous testimony, Martinez and several of the gang members were arrested almost immediately by New York City police officers after they left Quijada dead on the beach.

The officers saw the gang members' sport utility vehicle illegally parked by the beach and had initially stopped to give it a ticket.

Latest Long Island News