Good Evening
Good Evening
Long IslandCrime

Police: Man held without bail in deacon Patrick Logsdon’s slaying

Andre Patton, 47, of Roosevelt is taken to

Andre Patton, 47, of Roosevelt is taken to arraignment court Saturday to face a second-degree murder charge in the November 2017 slaying of Dean Patrick Logsdon. Credit: Observer Images / David L. Pokress

Nassau County homicide detectives said a man who was returned to face murder charges Saturday had fatally stabbed a deacon at a Roosevelt halfway house while arguing about his treatment plan for anger management.

Andre Patton, 47, of Roosevelt was extradited from Memphis after his arrest in Tennessee on a fugitive warrant in the Nov. 3 killing of Patrick Logsdon, 70, officials said Friday.

Patton did not enter a plea at his arraignment on a second-degree murder charge at First District Court in Hempstead. He was ordered held without bail. A public defender representing Patton said the defendant did not want to be questioned about his attorney.

Police issued a public alert for Patton shortly after he allegedly stabbed Logsdon inside the Roosevelt Avenue halfway house where they lived. Investigators considered Patton armed and dangerous.

Patton was found and arrested with the help of the Memphis Police Department’s Violent Crime Unit and the U.S. Marshal’s Office, Nassau police said.

Prosecutors said Saturday that Patton previously served 14 years in prison for a 1989 robbery and kidnapping conviction in South Carolina. He faces up to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder in Logsdon’s slaying.

At a news conference Saturday morning in Mineola, Nassau Det. Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick, commanding officer of the department’s Homicide Squad, said Patton stabbed Logsdon multiple times about 10 p.m. Nov. 3 at the weekend imprisonment program at Anthony House in Roosevelt.

Fitzpatrick said that on that night, Patton began arguing with Logsdon, who was the program manager, about Patton’s treatment program for anger management. Patton had been ordered to the halfway house after his conviction for assault, Fitzpatrick said.

After the killing, Patton stole a Nassau Inter-County Express ride-along van that he later abandoned in Queens, Fitzpatrick said.

The Memphis police Violent Crime Unit notified Nassau police this week after Patton was arrested in an assault there, Fitzpatrick said.

“We are grateful to law enforcement agencies for helping to bring this tragedy to closure,” Sean Dolan, spokesman for the Diocese of Rockville Centre, said earlier in a statement.

Officers responding to a 911 call on Nov. 3 saw Logsdon lying with multiple stab wounds on the floor of the halfway house on the normally quiet residential street.

The deacon lived and worked at the transitional home run by the Society of St. Vincent de Paul of Long Island for homeless men. He was described as a man who had dedicated himself for 33 years to caring for the poor.

Since his death, the charity, which is affiliated with the Diocese of Rockville Centre, has temporarily halted the placement of men at Anthony House.

“We are taking time to step back, have thoughtful conversations and determine the best way to move forward,” a message on the charity’s website said. “We are doing this with the utmost respect for Deacon Pat and the ministry he devoted his life to. We want to ensure that his mission and good works will continue.”

At the time of Logsdon’s death, only two other men lived there: Patton and the man who identified him as the killer, police have said. The other resident was not injured.

With Ellen Yan

Latest Long Island News