A North Massapequa teenager told four friends that he planned to conduct a "Columbine-style" assault on Plainedge High School next week on the anniversary of the Colorado massacre, Nassau police said Saturday after arresting him.
Nathan Myres, 17, surrendered to police Friday night in Seaford and admitted making the threats, Det. Lt. Kevin Smith said. Myres, who attended Plainedge until last year, when he enrolled in the BOCES special learning facility in Wantagh, told friends and police that he would use an automatic weapon on people at Plainedge on Tuesday because he disliked them, Smith said.
Myres was indicted in First District Court in Hempstead Saturday and charged with a felony count of making a terrorist threat. He was held on $25,000 bond.
It was not immediately clear if Myres had access to any guns, though Smith said Myres' friends saw him with a handgun last summer. Police found no weapons, written plans of attack or target lists in a search of two houses in which Myres has lived in recent months.
"His intent was to cause assaults, serious assaults," Smith said.
Police and school officials first learned of Myres' statements April 9, when a teacher overheard chatter about it in a hallway, Smith said. Police, including plainclothes and uniformed officers, increased their presence at school functions last week, he said.
Myres turned himself in after receiving text messages from friends saying the police were looking for him, according to roommate Mia Benitez, 18, who shares a house with Myres on Linden Street in North Massapequa.
Myres' girlfriend, Alicia Lamb, said Saturday Myres is the victim of "stupid high school rumors."
"It's upsetting that someone would start a rumor like that that could put someone's life in jeopardy," she said. "He didn't have any hatred toward Plainedge."
Tuesday is the 11th anniversary of the assault on Columbine High School in Colorado. Fifteen people, including the two shooters, were killed.
Plainedge School District Superintendent Christine P'Simer released a statement Saturday thanking police and the students who gave information to school faculty and authorities. She declined to be interviewed.
Myres does not have a criminal record, Smith said. Myres' mother died years ago, and his father, Douglas Myres, moved to Florida last month and left his son on Long Island, police said. Police said Nathan Myres did not have any family on Long Island.
On Facebook, Douglas Myres describes himself as looking for work in Florida. No one answered the phone at a number listed for him last night and he did not respond to e-mail or Facebook messages Saturday.
Public records indicate the Linden Street home is owned by Joan Lucchesi of Port Charlotte, Fla. Lucchesi could not be reached Saturday.
One of Myres' roommates, Joe Perdicaro, 20, said Myres moved in with them because he had nowhere else to live.
"He was just with us for a few weeks," he said.