Good Evening
Good Evening
Long IslandCrime

Man who fled scene of serious crash in March arrested, charged, DA says

The scene of the crash on Neighborhood and

The scene of the crash on Neighborhood and Flower roads in Mastic Beach that left five people, including a toddler, injured on March 20. Credit: James Carbone

A North Amityville man who fled the state to avoid arrest after causing a multivehicle crash that injured a toddler and four adults last month in Mastic Beach has been arrested and indicted on a slew of charges, including leaving the scene of an accident, prosecutors said.

Ronald Hubbard, 45, was arrested on March 26 in Reading, Pennsylvania,  and brought back to Suffolk on April 10 to answer for his crimes, Suffolk County District Attorney Timothy Sini said Thursday when the indictment against Hubbard was made public.

On March 20, about 11 a.m., Hubbard, driving a 2006 Nissan Altima, with an 18-month-old boy and two adults in the car, was traveling west on Neighborhood Road, authorities said. At the same time, a Suffolk County police officer, traveling east, noticed that the Altima was missing its front license plate so the officer attempted to initiate a traffic stop.

Hubbard fled, authorities said. They said he turned onto Oakwood Drive, then Flower Road, traveling south, when he ran a stop sign at the intersection with Neighborhood Road and hit a 2017 Toyota RAV4, which was traveling west on Neighborhood, causing the sport utility vehicle to overturn.

The passengers in the Toyota, Maryann Valentin, 59, and James Mayo, 56, both of Shirley, were injured.

All three passengers in Hubbard’s Nissan — the 18-month-old boy, Sabine Auguste, 34, of Ridge, and Jamel Hubbard, 33, of Wyandanch — were seriously injured, Sini said. Jamel and Ronald Hubbard are cousins, Ronald Hubbard’s attorney, Scott B. Zerner of Manhattan, said. The boy remains in critical condition. 

Ronald Hubbard allegedly told police officers at the scene that he was a bystander and gave a statement using an alias. Hubbard, who shattered his ankle and appeared in court in a wheelchair, has pleaded not guilty, his attorney said.

"He walked away from the destruction, lied to police about his involvement and ultimately fled the state to avoid taking responsibility for his careless actions,” Sini said in a news release.

Hubbard was charged with four counts of second-degree assault, first-degree making an apparently sworn false statement, first-degree offering a false instrument for filing, leaving the scene of an accident resulting in death or serious physical injury, third-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment, second-degree criminal impersonation, endangering the welfare of a child, false personation, reckless driving, second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, according to the district attorney’s office.

Hubbard was arraigned on the charges Thursday in First District Court in Central Islip. State Supreme Court Justice Fernando Camacho set bail at $500,000 cash or $1 million bond. He is due back in court on May 29.

Latest Long Island News