A West Babylon man who headed a multimillion-dollar burglary ring was sentenced Wednesday to 10 years in federal prison and ordered to pay $1.7 million in restitution, prosecutors said.
Nikitas Margiellos, 43, pleaded guilty in August 2014 to his role in dozens of burglaries on Long Island, Eastern District U.S. Attorney Robert L. Capers said.
Margiellos was previously sentenced in Nassau County Court in October 2014 in connection with a residential burglary in August 2009 and two commercial burglaries in May and June 2012.
Between 2009 and 2012, Capers said that Margiellos was “one of the leaders of a burglary crew” that committed at least 37 commercial burglaries and eight residential burglaries in Nassau and Suffolk, stealing at least $8 million in cash and property.
In 2014, Nassau County officials said the spree involved at least 51 burglaries in Nassau, Suffolk, Queens and Westchester counties — for a haul of more than $10 million.
In his statement Wednesday, Capers said the crew used “traditional burglary tools,” such as “blow torches, crowbars, wire cutters, and sledgehammers,” as well as modern technology — including cellphone jammers and police scanners — to commit the burglaries.
“They often conducted surveillance of their victims to determine when the homes and businesses would be unoccupied,” Capers said, adding that on at least one occasion the crew “installed a tracking device” on a car.
In addition to the 10-year federal sentence and the ordered restitution, Margiellos will face three years of supervised release.
Earlier this year, co-defendant Rafael Astacio, who authorities said was an NYPD detective at the time he committed the burglaries, was sentenced to 72 months in prison after pleading guilty to his role in the spree.
Two other co-defendants, identified by authorities as Loenard Repka and Victor Arias, were sentenced to 24 months and 54 months, respectively, after their pleas earlier this year, too. Three additional co-defendants await sentencing.