59° Good Morning
59° Good Morning
Long IslandCrime

Lynn May, woman badly hurt in Medford hit-run, dies, cops say

Kathy Horan of Medford, left, is accused of

Kathy Horan of Medford, left, is accused of leaving the scene of a fatal accident on Feb. 19, 2016, after police say she struck Lynn May, right, and others in a group of people that had pulled over to the side of the road after a minor two-car accident. May died from her injuries Feb. 26, 2016. Another person in the group, Peter Quoma, 28, of Selden was pronounced dead shortly after he was hit by Horan's vehicle, police said. Credit: James Carbone; May family

A Lake Grove woman who was seriously injured in a Feb. 19 fatal hit-and-run crash died Saturday, Suffolk County police said.

Lynn May, 58, was standing by her parked vehicle when she was struck at 8:21 p.m. on Granny Road, near Fairmont Avenue, in Medford, police said.

May, a former Waldbaum’s employee, was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue with serious injuries after the crash. She died Saturday morning at Brookhaven, police said.

“She was just a really good person. She loved her family,” her daughter Michelle Collins, 38, of Centereach said.

May, a Northport native and mother of three, worked at the recently opened King Kullen supermarket in North Patchogue, where she assisted with bookkeeping responsibilities.

She was “making progress every single day” and looked forward to moving to a rehabilitation facility by Monday, Collins said.

Police said Kathy Horan, 61, of Medford, was driving east on Granny Road when her 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe struck a group that had pulled over to the side of the road after a minor accident.

Horan hit and killed Peter Quoma, 28, of Selden, who had gotten out of his 1997 Nissan Maxima after the accident, police said. Quoma, who was recently engaged, was pronounced dead at Brookhaven Memorial. His two passengers suffered minor injuries.

Horan, who was not injured, was arraigned Feb. 20 on two felony charges of leaving the scene a motor-vehicle accident resulting in a death and a serious injury. She was released on bail.

Horan and her husband got out of their car after the crash and saw that there were injuries but “fled the scene — got back into their car and drove away,” Assistant District Attorney Dana Castaldo said at her arraignment.

Horan’s public defender said she contacted police “within hours,” and a breathalyzer showed she was not intoxicated.

May was spending time with friends at a home on Granny Road when Quoma hit one of the women’s cars, Collins said. Some of the women, including May, went outside and she was pinned between her car and Quoma’s during the collision, Collins said.

Around 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Collins spoke to her mother about the rehabilitation center. May wanted her daughter to send her a picture of her granddaughter’s first lacrosse practice, said Collins, who planned to visit after the practice.

But doctors called two hours later with news of her mother’s death.

“She thought she was the lucky one out of this whole thing” because she had been getting better, Collins said.

Latest Long Island News