43° Good Evening
43° Good Evening
Long IslandCrime

Officials: St. John's lacrosse player from LI off team roster after stabbing charge

St. John's lacrosse midfielder Matt Stockfeder, as seen

St. John's lacrosse midfielder Matt Stockfeder, as seen on the St. John's University Mens Lacrosse Facebook Page in a Jan. 25 post. Credit: Facebook / St. John's University Mens Lacrosse

A lacrosse standout from Melville has been taken off the roster at St. John’s University after he allegedly stabbed his roommate, an alumnus who was his teammate for at least two seasons, officials said.

Matthew Stockfeder, 21, and the roommate, 23, had been fighting in a house near the university’s Queens campus when the stabbing occurred about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, police said.

Stockfeder, a co-captain on the lacrosse team, was arraigned Wednesday on felony assault charges. He stabbed the roommate with such force that the victim was nearly disemboweled, officials said.

The victim, a 2018 graduate of St. John's, was admitted to New York-Presbyterian Queens in Flushing, where a nurse said Thursday he was doing "excellent." A check of prior seasons' boxscores on the St. John's lacrosse website showed Stockfeder and the victim had been teammates in 2017 and 2018.

“We are unaware of the motive behind it,” an NYPD spokesman, Sgt. Lee Jones, said of the stabbing. He added that police took Stockfeder into custody about 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. 

Stockfeder, a senior, was one of four co-captains on the school's lacrosse team but is no longer participating in team activities, said Brian Browne, a St. John's University spokesman. The university confirmed Stockfeder had been an active co-captain on the team at the time of the attack. He is no longer listed on the team roster.

Stockfeder is a 2016 graduate of Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station, according to a website that focuses on college lacrosse recruits. He was rated one of the Top 100 lacrosse players on Long Island by Newsday coming out of high school.

“The university is aware of an incident involving a student and an alum that occurred at an off-campus location, not owned by the university, and is fully cooperating with the investigation by law enforcement officials,” Browne said in a statement released late Wednesday night.

Stockfeder was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on one count of felony assault with intent to cause injury with a weapon, and a count of felony assault with intent to cause serious physical injury, according to court records.

His bail was set at $5,000, either bond or cash, records show. His attorney, Anthony Como, was unavailable for comment Thursday.  

Stockfeder’s next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 5, records said.

— With AP

Latest Long Island News