Nassau County police are keeping up intensified patrols Friday as news of a suspected terror attack in Munich, Germany, unfolds.
Multiple people were killed and several were wounded win a shooting attack outside a McDonald’s restaurant, Munich police told The Associated Press.
Nassau police had already doubled officers in their vehicles and increased patrols of shopping malls, areas of mass transit and public places in response to a string of violent attacks against both police and citizens in the United States and abroad.
Most recently, three officers were killed by a gunman during an attack in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
While no connection has been made between the Munich shooting and any threats to the metropolitan area, Nassau police said they are working out of caution as they help in “assessing national and local threat levels.”
Suffolk Police Commissioner Tim Sini and Chief of Department Stuart Cameron said the department “is actively monitoring” the attack in Germany.
“There is no credible indication of an increased threat to the citizens of Suffolk County at this time,” police said in a statement. “The department will continue to monitor the situation and remain in close contact with our law enforcement partners, including the FBI. Adjustments to the department’s existing deployments of personnel to shopping malls and other highly trafficked public areas will be adjusted as necessary to protect the public.”
An NYPD spokesman said officers were waiting for more information about whether the attack posed a threat to the metro area before making decisions.
Nassau police are encouraging the public to report immediate threats to 911 and call tips into Nassau Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
Suffolk police urged residents to “remain alert and aware” and report suspicious activity to law enforcement.