Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandCrime

Franklin Square man sentenced for fatal stabbing of man found on parkway ramp

Camari Hurley, who pleaded guilty in May in

Camari Hurley, who pleaded guilty in May in the murder of Sumeet Singh, was sentenced Monday to 18 years to life in prison. Credit: NCDA

A judge Monday sentenced a Franklin Square man to 18 years to life in prison for the 2017 murder of a victim who authorities said was left to die on a Southern State Parkway ramp.

The sentencing of Camari Hurley, 24, followed his guilty plea in May to second-degree murder in the slaying of Sumeet Singh, records show.

Authorities have said Singh, 21, of Franklin Square, was found suffering from several stab wounds on a Valley Stream parkway ramp on Jan. 11, 2017, and later died while hospitalized.

Motorists saw the victim and police who responded heard Singh say Hurley “had done this to him,” prosecutors said Monday.

State Police alleged at the time of Hurley’s arrest that he and Singh knew each other and there had been conflict between them. Prosecutors said Monday the two had a dispute earlier the same day.

Police found Hurley about a mile from Singh about 30 minutes later, and blood on Hurley’s clothing was a match with Singh’s, according to prosecutors.

“A branch from our family tree has been torn off,” said Singh’s sister, who didn’t give her name in court.

She also told acting State Supreme Court Justice Howard Sturim her family always would be left wondering why their loved one was killed.

Hurley, while largely inaudible in court, told the judge: “It shouldn’t have happened the way it happened.”

Sturim then chastised Hurley while giving him a sentence he said he based partly on the prosecution’s recommendation, saying: “It’s a shame that even now you can’t accept responsibility.”

Defense attorney David Haber said later that while Hurley admitted stabbing Singh three times, his client contends “other persons were involved” and denies being the one who “essentially caused the death.”

Haber added that the medical examiner’s office found Singh had been stabbed, shot and beaten, and “basically said the cause of death was all three.” Prosecutors confirmed that finding, saying the investigation was open, but no one else had been charged.

Nassau District Attorney Madeline Singas said in a statement that Hurley “brutally stabbed” Singh and “callously left him to die” on a parkway ramp before law enforcement officials brought Hurley “to justice.”

Latest Long Island News