A Lindenhurst man was arrested Saturday in connection with nine larcenies across Suffolk County that began in December, authorities said.
James Destasio, 33, was located Saturday by police as he was driving in Deer Park in a vehicle he was not authorized to have, Suffolk County police said in a news release on Sunday.
Destasio was able to get away from the police. He was arrested later in West Babylon after police discovered the vehicle, parked and empty, and found him in a backyard on West 14th Street as he tried to run away again, police said.
Destasio was charged with nine counts of fourth-degree grand larceny, unauthorized use of a vehicle, reckless driving and resisting arrest, the release stated.
His alleged crimes, according to police, include:
- Dec. 21: Forcibly taking money from a woman’s hand at an ATM in Bay Shore,
- Feb. 23: Stealing a wallet from a locker at LA Fitness in Lindenhurst,
- Feb. 24: Stealing a credit card from a vehicle parked outside LA Fitness in Patchogue,
- Feb. 24: Stealing a credit card from a vehicle parked outside LA Fitness in East Farmingdale,
- Feb. 25: Stealing a credit card from a vehicle parked outside Crunch Fitness in West Babylon,
- Feb. 26: Taking funds as a rental deposit for a Bay Shore apartment that he was not authorized to rent,
- March 2: Stealing a credit card from a vehicle parked outside a UPS store in North Lindenhurst,
- March 5: Stealing an employee’s credit card at a tanning salon in Deer Park and
- March 9: Stealing a purse out of a shopping cart at a Stop & Shop store in West Islip.
Destasio was held Sunday on bail of $10,000 bond or $5,000 cash at his arraignment in First District Court in Central Islip.