Good Morning
Good Morning
Long IslandCrime

DA: Uniondale man convicted of attempting to murder his wife

Michael Taylor, 52, of Uniondale, was convicted of

Michael Taylor, 52, of Uniondale, was convicted of attempted murder for trying to kill his wife in 2015 by hitting her in the head with a metal bar and attacking her with a meat cleaver, officials said. Credit: NCPD

A Uniondale man has been convicted of attempted murder for trying to kill his wife in 2015 by hitting her in the head with a metal bar, then attacking the woman with a meat cleaver, prosecutors said Thursday.

Michael Taylor, 52, was convicted in State Supreme Court in Mineola on Tuesday of second-degree attempted murder, first-degree attempted assault, third-degree criminal possession of a weapon, aggravated criminal contempt and endangering the welfare of a child in the October 2015 attack, according to a news release from Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas’ office.

The trial started on April 16 and the jury deliberated approximately two hours, prosecutors said.

Taylor is scheduled for sentencing June 27 before acting Supreme Court Justice Howard Sturim. He faces 8 to 25 years in prison.

“It was clear that the defendant’s intent was to kill his wife when he swung a weapon at her head and then stabbed her repeatedly with a meat cleaver,” Singas said in the news release. “Thanks to the heroic actions of her daughter, the victim is alive today. Domestic abuse is a scourge on our society and with this verdict Michael Taylor is being held accountable for his brutal actions.”

Taylor’s attorney, Dana Grossblatt of Jericho, said by telephone Thursday her client plans to appeal the conviction.

“Mr. Taylor thanks the jury for their attention and their deliberations in this case,” Grossblatt said. “He has always denied the allegations set forth and plans to appeal.”

Singas said that at about 12:25 a.m. on Oct. 3, 2015, Taylor attacked the 53-year old victim, his wife at the time.

Taylor swung a metal pole at the woman’s head, Singas said. In an effort to defend herself, Singas said, the victim put her hands up and her fingers were crushed, resulting in the need for multiple surgeries. Taylor then grabbed a meat cleaver and “stabbed” her head and back.

The victim was able to flee with the help of her daughter, who called 911, the release said.

Nassau police officers arrived and Taylor fled to the basement. Officers attempted to contact Taylor for two hours and members of the Bureau of Special Operations unit found him hiding in a basement wall space, the release said.

Prosecutors said Taylor was acquitted of one count of attempted first-degree assault and one count of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon.

Latest Long Island News