Officials at St. Anthony’s High School in South Huntington put the school on lockdown and searched bags on Thursday, saying they plan to do so again on Friday after a bomb threat was discovered earlier in the week.
Assistant Principal Christina Buehler, communications director, said a written threat was discovered in a bathroom on Wednesday. The note threatened that a bomb was set to go off in the school during the week.
“No one treats me right and because of that this school is going to go down in pieces,” the note read.
School officials reported the note to Suffolk County police, Buehler said, and placed the school on lockdown after it was discovered. Buehler said police deemed the school safe after a Wednesday search, but as a precautionary measure, students were still subject to bag checks and lockdown procedures on Thursday.
“We just wanted to be extra cautious,” Buehler said.
A Suffolk County police spokeswoman said authorities received and investigated a bomb threat report at the school, but did not have further information.
In a note sent to parents, faculty and students on Thursday, Brother Gary Cregan, principal, wrote that the same lockdown procedure and bag checks would be in place for Friday’s classes.
“Saint Anthony’s High School has elevated its security levels as a precaution and will remain on alert for an undetermined period of time,” he wrote. “We are fully cooperating with Suffolk Police in their investigation, which remains open.”