Good Afternoon
Good Afternoon
Long IslandEnvironment

Explanation of contaminants

Here are explanations of the 18 acronyms used to describe contaminants in this database, based on definitions from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency:

BTEX: Term used for benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene-volatile aromatic compounds typically found in petroleum product, such as gasoline and diesel fuel.
DCA: Dichloroethane, used to make chemicals involved in plastics, rubber and synthetic textile fibers. Also as a solvent for resins and fats, photography, photocopying, cosmetics, drugs, and as a fumigant for grains and orchards.
DCB: Dichlorobenzene. Used to make herbicides, insecticides, medicine, and mothballs or deodorant blocks.
DCE: Dichloroethylene. Used as a solvent for waxes and resins; in the extraction of rubber; as a refrigerant; in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals and artificial pearls; in the extraction of oils and fats from fish and meat; and in making other organics.
DDE: Dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene. A break-down product of DDT
DDT: An organachlorine insecticide no longer registered for use in the United States.
MBTE: Methyl tertiary butyl ether -- an oxygenate added to gasoline to improve combustion and to reduce harmful vehicle emissions. Low levels can make drinking water undrinkable due to its offensive taste and odor.
MEK: Methyl ethyl ketone, primarily a solvent for coatings, resins, and adhesives.
PAH: Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are a group of over 100 different chemicals that are formed during the incomplete burning of coal, oil and gas, garbage, or other organic substances
PCB: Polychlorinated Biphenyls) A group of toxic, persistent chemicals used in electrical transformers and capacitors for insulating purposes, and in gas pipeline systems as lubricant
PCE: Perchloroethylene
PERC: Tetrachloroethylene is a chemical solvent that is widely used for dry cleaning of fabrics, metal degreasing, and in making some consumer products and other chemicals.
PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride. Family of plastic copolymers, also known as vinyl, used to make pipes, bottles, upholstery, and automotive parts.
SVOCs: Semi-Volatile Organic Compound
TCA: Trichloroacetic acid
TCE: 1,1,1-trichloroethane usually occurs by breathing contaminated air. It is found in building materials, cleaning products, paints, and metal degreasing agents.
TCP: Trichloropropane. Mainly used to make other chemicals. Also used as an industrial solvent, paint and varnish remover, and cleaning and degreasing agent.
VOCs: Volatile Organic Compounds: These are groundwater contaminants of concern because of very large environmental releases, human toxicity, and a tendency for some compounds to persist in and migrate with ground-water to drinking-water supply well.

Further information about contaminants can be found at 

Latest Long Island News