42° Good Evening
42° Good Evening
Long Island

Hempstead residents to get guide on challenging assessments

Hempstead Town Hall is seen in this undated

Hempstead Town Hall is seen in this undated photo. Credit: Ian J. Stark

Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray and Receiver of Taxes Don Clavin are reminding residents that they can challenge their assessments by Nassau County if they believe them to be too high compared with similar properties in their neighborhood.

To support that, Murray and Clavin said in a release Friday, the town is mailing a guide to residents with instructions on how to challenge their assessments -- the basis for determining property taxes.

Assessments can only be lowered or remain the same as a result of a challenge -- they cannot be increased.

"Challenging your home's assessment is your right as a property taxpayer and is essential to ensuring that you are not paying more in taxes than your fair share," Murray said.

The release noted that Nassau County currently uses a four-year cyclical valuation system, which freezes property assessments for four years. "Unless physical changes are made to your property or you receive an assessment reduction resulting from a challenge, your assessed value will not change during that four-year period," said the release.

Those living in an incorporated village will also have their property assessed by the village and should contact the village assessor for information about challenging their homes' village assessment.

"There is no fee to file an application for [assessment] correction," Clavin said.

A county property assessment challenge can be made online at or in person at the Department of Assessment, at 240 Old Country Rd. in Mineola. You may file the challenge by yourself or hire someone to assist you. All assessment challenges must be filed by March 2, 2015.

Latest Long Island News