Good Morning
Good Morning
Long Island

Hunt on for driver in crash that killed nun

Sister Jacqueline Walsh is remembered at St. Edward

Sister Jacqueline Walsh is remembered at St. Edward the Confessor R.C. Church in Syosset in 2012. Credit: Danielle Finkelstein

          An Editor’s Note published July 12, 2017, about Kevin Deutsch’s reporting appears at the end of this story. 

Authorities are conducting an international manhunt for the driver police believe killed a nun in Water Mill in a hit-and-run crash in July, according to a law enforcement source with knowledge of the case.

Federal agents abroad are heading up the search for Southampton laborer Carlos Armando Ixpec-Chitay, 30, who is believed to have fled the country -- possibly to his native Guatemala -- after the crash that killed Sister Jacqueline Walsh, 59, of Syosset on July 9, the source said.

U.S. marshals, working with Southampton Town police, nearly captured Ixpec-Chitay at least twice. They missed him by only a few minutes after being tipped off to the undocumented immigrant's whereabouts after he left New York, the source said.

"We hope they catch him, wherever he is, or that he simply does the right thing and turns himself in," said Walsh's longtime friend, Linda Dwyer of Syosset. "We will forgive him, just as Sister Jackie would have forgiven him."

Ixpec-Chitay is accused of driving the 2009 Volkswagen Touareg SUV that struck Walsh as she walked along the 300 block of Rose Hill Road. The car, which belonged to Ixpec-Chitay's employer, businessman Andrew Zaro, was found abandoned with front-end damage about a half-mile from Walsh's body.

Walsh, a Bronx native, was a beloved figure at St. Edward in Syosset, where she served as pastoral associate for nine years. Before that, she worked for six years as a teacher and campus minister at Our Lady of Mercy Academy, a Catholic girls high school in Syosset.

As part of an effort to put pressure on Ixpec-Chitay to turn himself in, authorities have also turned up the heat on his family, the source said. They detained two of his relatives on violation of immigration laws and successfully prosecuted his younger brother, Miguel, for lying to police about phone conversations with Carlos.

Miguel Ixpec-Chitay, of Riverhead, was convicted in federal court last month on a felony count of making a materially false statement and will face up to a year in prison at his sentencing Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Central Islip, court records show.

Carlos Armando Ixpec-Chitay and his brother called several relatives and friends after the crash to ask for help, including one in California, according to trial testimony.

Miguel Ixpec-Chitay was arrested in September after telling an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer he had not been in contact with his brother. But records showed 19 phone calls between the two on the day of the accident and the day after, prosecutors said.

"This case is about a lie," federal prosecutor Lara Treinis Gatz said at the trial, according to court records. "A lie that mattered."

According to testimony by law enforcement officials at his brother's trial, police on July 10 found Carlos Armando Ixpec-Chitay's iPhone in the woods in Farmingville, roughly 40 miles from the crash scene, court records show.

"We know there will eventually be justice," Dwyer said. "We're just not certain of when."

Editor’s note: Newsday undertook an extensive, four-month review of reporting by Kevin Deutsch, who covered law enforcement from April 2012 to September 2016.

The review of the former Newsday reporter’s work began after The Baltimore Sun this year reported that law enforcement and other officials questioned the veracity of Deutsch’s nonfiction book “Pill City” about Baltimore’s drug trade. In addition, questions arose about individuals named in Newsday stories by Deutsch. Book publisher St. Martin’s Press and Deutsch have said they stand behind the book.

We are dedicated to accurate, factual reporting, to the highest journalistic standards and to maintaining our credibility with Newsday readers. We also are committed to being accountable to our readers. Newsday undertook the detailed review in that spirit and because of the concerns that were raised.

In late February, as our review was under way, The New York Times reported in an editor’s note that The Times “had been unable to locate or confirm the existence of two people who were named and quoted” in a Dec. 29, 2016, freelance article written by Deutsch. Deutsch “maintains that the interviews and the descriptions are accurate,” The Times wrote.

Newsday reviewed 600 stories with reporting by Deutsch. We contacted officials in the police departments regularly involved in Deutsch’s coverage. They said they had not had problems with his work. We then focused our research and reporting on individuals who, as described in the stories, would not be considered officials, or well-known, public figures.

The review found 77 stories with 109 individuals from Deutsch’s reporting whom Newsday could not locate. The main points of the stories were not affected. While two stories about the Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen were based on sources Newsday could not locate, other media reported the main points of those stories but with attribution from different sources.  In this story, Newsday could not locate: Linda Dwyer. Newsday is attaching an editor’s note to each story online that contains individuals we cannot locate.

Here’s how Newsday conducted the review:

Researchers and reporters searched local and national public records, sites providing nationwide people searches, databases of business, real estate and conviction records, social media sites including Facebook, LinkedIn and and nationwide news archives. They searched potential alternate spellings and other name variations. Their reporting followed potential leads they found through research, within stories and in information shared by Deutsch during the review.

Finding people after publication, in some cases years later, can be difficult because of changes in residence, circumstance and contact information. Some may not have given their real names.

On the law enforcement beat, reporters may encounter people who lead lives that are not reflected in public records or other sources of information that would help locate them. It is possible that some on our list were difficult to find or reluctant to respond to our review because they are undocumented immigrants, those battling or recovering from addiction or people involved in or around illegal activity.

Some on our list were described discussing crimes in their neighborhoods, and others as relatives, friends or neighbors of victims or as individuals living near or knowing those accused of crimes.

Others we have not been able to locate, though, are described as bystanders, neighbors, spectators, relatives of drug victims, witnesses to news events or related in some way to people in the news. Still others are described in stories as people actively engaged in public issues, such as activists, protesters and marchers. Many individuals on the list are described as local.

Deutsch said in email exchanges with Newsday that “I have no doubt about the veracity of the claims of the sources I quoted.” He also said, “Not a single public official, source, or other interviewee has raised any issues with even one of these stories.”

“It's impossible for any reporter to know whether the name given to him by interviewees on the street--or those reached briefly by phone or email-- is that person's full and legal name, rather than an alias or variation of their real name (maiden names and certain common nicknames/abbreviations for first names are often published by newspapers, including Newsday.). But every one of the names on Newsday’s list was the name given to me by that interview subject, verbatim.”

During the four months of our review, Newsday shared questions and updates with Deutsch as we progressed in the search for individuals we could not locate. We requested notes and contact information. Deutsch sent us notes he said represented all individuals we were unable to locate and responded over the course of the review by email, sharing information he said was from his recollection and notes.

Reporters followed up on all information shared by Deutsch. He did not provide contact information for those on our list. Newsday reporters and editors sought unsuccessfully several times to meet with Deutsch to discuss his reporting and to review his notes together to ensure we were not missing contact information or other details that might help locate individuals. Deutsch maintained that the notes he shared “serve as evidence of interviews” with each source.

Deutsch said he kept contact information in a Rolodex he left behind at Newsday’s main office and in a company-issued cellphone he returned within a week after resigning on Sept. 6, 2016. Editorial staff did not find a Rolodex or other notes at our office, but found notes left at Newsday’s desk at a courthouse pressroom where he worked. We shared them with Deutsch and he confirmed they were his. As per company policy, the contents of the cellphone had been deleted immediately after Deutsch returned it to Newsday.

Maintaining the trust of our readers is essential to our mission.  If we are able subsequently to locate any individuals, we will update our stories.

Latest Long Island News