71° Good Evening
71° Good Evening
Long Island


CORAM/Great blue heron rescued after getting stuck in cord

Another day, another bird saved by Suffolk County police.

A day after police rescued an owl on the side of the Long Island Expressway, two Suffolk officers saved an injured great blue heron stuck on a cord between trees Thursday afternoon, police said. Emergency Service officers Lance Prager and Michael Coscia responded to the 500 block of Mill Road after a 911 caller reported the stuck bird at 12:14 p.m.

An employee with Alternative Earthcare Tree and Lawn Systems, working nearby, provided a bucket truck that raised Prager more than 50 feet, police said. "They freed the bird from the cord and put a blanket around the heron to calm it," police said in a news release. Prager and Coscia took the heron by police car to Animal Emergency Service in Selden. The bird was expected to survive.

It's the second consecutive day police saved a bird. A great horned owl was rescued on the westbound side of the LIE near Exit 65 in Medford by officers Fred Sales and Carl Glaser about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday and taken for evaluation by state Department of Environmental Conservation personnel, police said.

Aphrodite Montalvo, a spokeswoman for the state agency, said Thursday that wildlife experts let the owl rest and "determined it was alert enough to be released back into its natural habitat on Wednesday evening."Montalvo said DEC staff could not determine the severity of the owl's injury but felt it was recovering on its own and did not need the assistance of a rehabilitator.

She said the DEC is withholding the location where the owl was released to give it the best opportunity to acclimate itself to the surroundings.

DEC staff said a variety of wildlife attempt to scavenge food items tossed onto roadways and can be struck by moving vehicles, which is likely what happened to the owl, according to Montalvo.

FRANKLIN SQUARE/Underage drinking probe results in 8 arrests

Officers conducting an underage drinking initiative in the Second and Fourth precincts arrested eight people Wednesday on charges of selling alcohol to minors, Nassau County police said.

Police said their "Project 21" undercover operation resulted in arrests at businesses in Hicksville and Levittown in the Second Precinct and in Franklin Square and Valley Stream in the Fourth.

In each case, an underage agent purchased alcohol without being properly identified, police said.

Those arrested in the Second Precinct on charges of selling alcohol to a minor were:

Sufia Begum, 57, of Saurer Ct., Hicksville, working at Super Village Green, 56 E. Village Green, Levittown.

Raymond Vandermark, 50, of 76 Meadow Lane, Levittown, working at Dairy Barn, 100 Division Ave., Levittown.

Kwoltz Leung, 55, of 354 Suydam St., Brooklyn, working at Newbridge Beer and Soda, 8-10 W. Village Green, Hicksville.

Christina Tetenes, 18, of 31 Sandpiper Lane, Levittown, working at a Mobil Gas Station, 363 Newbridge Rd., Levittown.

Each was issued an appearance ticket for May 20 at First District Court in Hempstead.

Those arrested in the Fourth Precinct on charges of selling alcohol to a minor and unlawful dealing with a child were:

Jashoda S. Patel, 53 of 174 Ann St., Valley Stream, working at M&S Stationery and Convenience, 467 Franklin Ave., Franklin Square.

Felicita Pintor, 52, of 39 W. Roosevelt Ave., Roosevelt, working at E&M Delicatessen, 179 Franklin Ave., Franklin Square.

Gurbir Singh, 23, of 8451 266th St., Floral Park, working at Busy Bee Gas Station, 758 Franklin Ave., Franklin Square.

Mahesh Fernando, 33, of 66 Margaret Dr., Valley Stream, working at Mickey's Wine & Liquor, 396 Rockaway Ave., Valley Stream.

Each was issued an appearance ticket for April 25.

-- Gary Dymski

Latest Long Island News