44° Good Evening
44° Good Evening
Long Island

Love story: Marie and Tony DeLosa of Dix Hills

Tony and Marie DeLosa, of Dix Hills, marked

Tony and Marie DeLosa, of Dix Hills, marked their 50th wedding anniversary this month. Credit: DeLosa family

Marie DeLosa of Dix Hills recalls meeting her future husband, Tony, while on vacation.

I grew up in Jackson Heights, Queens. After graduating from Newtown High School in 1963, I got a job with a bank in Manhattan. The following June, my sister and I went to Miami with two of my friends from work. While there, one friend got a call from her cousin Tony. He was also vacationing in Miami with his friend, and they made plans to meet us.

I was introduced to them — my name was Marie Caldiero — and the six of us spent the whole vacation doing things together. I was 18. Tony was 21 and lived in what is now the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn. He worked for the same bank but at a different branch. At the end of our vacation, Tony said he’d call me, but he never did.

A month later, I saw him at a company picnic but we didn’t interact. That September, I heard that he had enlisted in the Army and was stationed at Fort Monmouth in New Jersey.

The next time I saw Tony was in 1966 at his cousin’s wedding. My parents and I were seated at the same table with Tony during the reception. He was on leave. My parents invited him to lunch at our house the following day.

The next day after lunch, Tony again said he’d call me, and this time he kept his word. He told me he hadn’t called when we first met because I was the kind of girl you want to marry, and he wasn’t ready for that.

We began dating, and three weeks later he asked me to marry him. I said something like, “Are you crazy?”

Well, one year later we planned an August wedding with 200 guests, then had to push up the date after Tony was told he was being deployed to Vietnam. We rearranged everything and changed the date on all the invitations by hand.

On June 2, 1967, we were married at Our Lady of Fatima Church in East Elmhurst. We honeymooned at the Hotel Sherry Frontenac on Miami Beach where we first met. God was good to us and Tony’s orders were changed to a 13-month tour of duty in Belgium with Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, a military arm of NATO.

I followed Tony to Belgium, and it was quite an experience. It made us closer, as we only had each other to rely on. We traveled on weekends and visited Germany, France, Italy, Holland and Switzerland.

We returned to New York in 1968, and Tony was honorably discharged. I became a full-time homemaker, and we started our family. We have a son and a daughter. She and our son-in-law have given us a grandson who is the joy of our lives.

In 1978 we moved to Dix Hills. Tony retired in 2010 as director of human resources at Marjam Supply Co. in Farmingdale.

This month, we had a 50th anniversary dinner celebration with relatives at Cinque Terre in Huntington.

God has really blessed us. We have had an interesting life, good times and bad, joy and sadness. Through it all we have our love and each other.

From when we were first married, our belief has been “One Life, One Love,” which is engraved on our wedding rings.

— With Virginia Dunleavy


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News