74° Good Morning
74° Good Morning
Long Island

Man gets 25 to life for rape, murder in Mastic

A Port Jefferson Station man was sentenced Wednesday to 25 years to life in prison on charges that he broke into a female colleague's Mastic home, raped her and fatally stabbed her sleeping boyfriend.

Before he was led to jail, Tomas Peck, 27, listened to his victim voice the anguish she felt for her absent companion, Tyrone A. Terry, 21. "No one, not you, not anything, will stop me from loving him," the woman said, standing unsteadily behind a wooden lectern.

"Now he's gone and I'm broken." Peck, handcuffed and wearing a black sweatshirt, looked at the floor, then to his lawyer - seemingly everywhere but into the eyes of the victim he left alive.

"What you did to me that day was very nasty and disgusting," said the woman, 34, whom Newsday is not naming because of the nature of the crimes.

"I hope your mother or sisters never have to endure anything like that." Peck displayed no reaction as State Supreme Court Justice Robert W. Doyle imposed the sentence for an attack he called "savage and vicious." Suffolk prosecutors had been seeking consecutive sentences on all counts, for a total of 50 years to life, but in a deal for a lesser sentence last month Peck admitted to a grim series of crimes.

Armed with a hunting knife, Peck entered the woman's home on Feb. 10, 2008, using a key he'd obtained earlier, he said. Finding the pair asleep in a bedroom, Peck said he plunged his knife several times into the back of Terry, a correction officer from Henderson, N.C., who'd come to Suffolk for a two-week visit.

Terry woke and attempted to fight off his attacker, but Peck kept stabbing him until he was dead, he said.

The commotion roused the female victim - whom Suffolk prosecutors said Peck met at a retail store where he worked - and Peck attacked her. Peck punched her repeatedly in the face, then choked her until she blacked out, he said. While the woman was unconscious, Peck said, he raped her twice.

After the attack, prosecutors said, Peck fled to Mexico, where his attorney said he had been raised for 15 years by his father. Prosecutors said Peck returned to the United States on his own and confessed his guilt.

Terry's mother, Andrea Terry, also of Henderson, N.C., spoke in court before the sentencing. She described her son as a man devoted to his loved ones and respected by colleagues, before she called on Peck to repent for his crimes. "You don't know when your time will come," she said. "Just like Tyrone didn't know you were going to come like a thief in the night."


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

Latest Long Island News